Thursday, June 25, 2009

On the Death of Celebrities

Two very different people, one male, one female, one black, one white, one a megastar, one quite a bit less famous than that (but still famous). And yet both share in common something universal today:

Today, they were both face-to-face with the LORD.

I don't know a whole lot about either Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett. Of course, MJ's music was ubiquitous, and I remember a ton of his songs. But I was never really a fan, and when he started imploding personally, I guess I just felt sad for him. And as for FF, I never watched her show, and never really watched her movies, either. And after appearing on the scene like a comet, she just kind of flamed out.

And yet today, they were both face-to-face with the LORD.

I have no idea where they were spiritually. I have no idea whether or not they even heard the Gospel. I have to imagine they did, living in America as we do. Maybe it was a solid presentation, maybe it was the watered-down version that we hear so often in our materialistic and self-centered society. I have no idea at all.

Today, they were both face-to-face with the LORD.

I could go on and on about how it feels a bit surreal when I see so many people mourning who never even met them. It's not that I lack empathy, or understanding. I see some people genuinely in pain, and I do mourn with them, even if I am not personally affected. And I know that when an artist moves you, whether musically or sensually or viscerally or however, you can form a connection with that artist in your mind. I totally get all that.

But I guess the one feeling that stands out to me right now is that I really need to be more diligent in sharing the Gospel. Much more diligent. I am obedient, but am I passionate? Am I zealous?

The answer is, I am not. And yet I need to be, and I strive to be.

Because today, they were both face-to-face with the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment